Monday, May 11, 2009

A Wonderful Mother's Day!

I had a great Mother's Day yesterday. One thing this disease has taught me is to not take anything for granted and one of those things is my children and my husband and how much I love them and love being their mom and life partner.

I woke up exhausted from the day before. We had spent several hours outside in the heat at Michael's lacrosse tournament. But, the smell of breakfast cooking pulled me from my bed. Joe and Michael and I ate out on the back patio. Janaya unfortunately had already left for work. Mother's Day is a big day at the restaurants! When we had finished eating, Joe said, "I'll be right back," and disappeared around the side of the house. He came back pushing a wheelbarrow containing several hibiscus plants and two verbenia plants. His plan was to plant them along the back wall of our house as my Mother's Day present. I was so surprised and excited! We've had a terrible time keeping the grass nice in our backyard and Joe's been working for weeks to improve it and it's finally looking good. He knows how much I love being outdoors and how discouraged I get when the yard doesn't look nice. His gift was perfect and so very thoughtful.





Then, after working all day long in the heat planting the flowers, Joe made ribs and baked potatoes for dinner. While they were cooking, Joey walked in from Flagstaff! He had spent the morning moving from his spring dorm into summer housing and then drove down. I miss him so much and was so glad to see him. His Mother's Day gift was given to me at dinner when he said, "I really love it up in Flagstaff, but I miss you guys a lot and am glad I'm home." Is there anything better than that? I don't think so!

A little while later Joe was cooking strawberry shortcake for dessert (I know, I know, the poor guy just doesn't quit!) and Janaya came home from work so that we were all able to finally be together. As I looked around me, at Joe who had worked so tirelessly all day long to make sure my day was special, and at the kids and what wonderful, caring, young adults they've grown into, I was filled with love and happiness and contentment and peace.

This disease has shaken my world, but no matter what happens in the future, it can't take away moments like this.

Hoping all the wonderful moms I know and care about out there had wonderful days!
Love you all tons!
Martha

2 comments:

Carol Dunton said...

Oh my gosh...what a wonderful story of your mother's day!! What a guy, that man of yours is, too! I can appreciate what it means to have the yard fixed up a bit! It does put a smile on your heart! It sounds as if your family enjoyed Mother's Day just as much as you did! : ) What a beautiful woman you are, Martha. You really are...in soo many, many ways!

N-Search of Peace! said...

Nothing sweetie....N-O-T-H-I-N-G can take away us being Mom's!
We have been given our children (really for such a short time) to have a day to be specifically just for us....to have each one create new memories for us....from popsicle stick boxes and handmade cards, to "time" just spent with one another as a family..
Can I hear a an "Hallelujah?"
To making more Mom Day's specail...
N-Peace