Sunday, September 19, 2010

A final update for Martha, from Joe and Pam,

Dear Friends and Family,

Martha’s eighteen month journey with breast cancer has ended and it is now time for us to write a last blog entry for her. As she wished, Martha died peacefully at home on July 16th, 2010 surrounded by; Joe, her husband; Janaya, Joey, Michael, her children; and Pam, her sister.



From the day Martha was diagnosed on, November 13, 2008, our family worked as a team to find the best medical professionals possible. The family always shared our thoughts and then with a confident plan, we moved forward towards the best option for finding a cure. Martha faced every test, treatment, and surgery with a strong drive of beating the cancer. Her breast cancer was relentless and Martha never had a break. The disease was aggressive and progressed in spite of every effort to beat it. The outcome of this battle is not as any of us wished, however we are all at peace knowing that we tried our best and worked with the best doctors available as we sought the elusive cure. When we knew that we had tried everything humanly possible and that there wasn’t a cure to be found, we worked on helping Martha live every moment to the fullest and made as many memories as possible for the kids and family. Near the end of Martha’s journey, we found comfort in inviting Hospice of the Valley to our home with the goal to help make Martha as comfortable as possible. They not only made her comfortable, but they guided all of us through a very difficult time. With rhe support of her doctors, it was Martha who made the decision to stop further treatment and contact Hospice. We had heard of numerous stories of families that “waited too long” to call Hospice. We supported her in this very difficult decision. From the first day that Hospice arrived at our home and through every visit they made, we found comfort knowing that we had contacted Hospice at the right time. Hospice assisted the whole family in making the most of Martha’s last two months of life. For that we will be forever thankful.

Even if you never met Martha, we do not need to explain her courage, strength and determination to beat the cancer because it is already expressed in her writings on this blog. We do not need to tell of her love of family, for it is visible in her updates and pictures. She was strong for all of us. She loved each and every one of us for being a part of her life. Martha regularly shared that she was in awe of the love and support that surrounded her on this journey. So, as each one of us tries to figure out life without Martha’s presence here on earth, we will do as she requested and will always carry her in our hearts.

As Martha always said,

“Love you all tons,”

12 comments:

Pam said...

I love you Martha.

Joe Hitzel said...

Life will never be as good as it was with you at my side. You blessed me with so much. I love you Martha!!

dawn chandler - new mexico artist said...

What a beautiful contribution. I love that at the end of this post, it says "Posted by Martha". For even though she didn't write it, she guided it.
Thank you, Martha. You've taught me so much.

Kelli Berry said...

Life will never be the same for any of us. You touched us all. You are smiling in my mind. We will Celebrate Our Lives Every Single Day...One Day at a Time. God Love You! and Thank you for your Joy of Life. I Am Smiling for having known you!...

Kelli Berry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli Berry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheela said...

This is a wonderful post, Joe and Pam. I so admire both of you and glad that I have you in my life.

Martha taught me a lot about so many things and I feel "blessed" to have had her in my life!!

Love,
Sheila

NP said...

Beautifully said! I don't think there has been a day that has gone by that I haven't thought of Martha and her wonderful family. Knowing her and teaching with her was a very special gift. Getting to know her family was another gift. You are an amazing family!
Love & hugs,
Nancy

Meags said...

Love you all tons. My mom always says love doesn't divide. It expands. Thank you for allowing all of us be apart of this abundant love.

N-Search of Peace! said...

I am a better human spirit because of Martha's allowing me into her heart and life...
I have never been the same since...
The love that she taught is the kind that one rarely has the opportunity to experience....Martha was a gift...I will celebrate the light and life she was....I am so grateful I knew her...
Love you tons too....

Joe Hitzel said...

I have miss you Martha! it has be a tough year without you, finding my way. As you told all of us, you are always in my heart. I love you tons!!

VanessaS said...

I've never had the chance to meet you but I want to thank you for raising a great family! I'm set to marry Joey on April 1st and we will remember you fondly on that day. Joey mentioned that we would of got along great and after reading [and crying] through your blog I realized we would of been two peas in a pod.I'm pumped you love doggos as much as me. I love that your all about the fam. You're an awesome person Martha and I hope to see you in my dreams. <3 <3